Of course, some people use the phrase to refer to any cataclysmic event that would change the world as we know it but there are some who are really referring to zombies.
I was asked recently for my thoughts on the best guns to own in case of a zombie apocalypse. I’m not sure if the asker was referring to a metaphoric zombie apocalypse or to the "real" thing, but in any case, here are my tongue-in-cheek suggestions.
- M-16 -- Since your only two choices for destroying a zombie are a well-placed head shot or complete annihilation, an M-16 is a good choice for its accuracy. A well-trained shooter could hit a pumpkin-sized target as far away as 500 or 600 meters with this gun.
- 50 Caliber Sniper Rifle -- This gun is even more accurate and is capable of hitting targets as far away as a mile and a half. Keep in mind, however, that hitting something that far out takes a lot of skill and training.
- 40mm Grenade Launcher -- The grenade launcher is ideal for those times when the zombies are crowded together in a group. It uses high explosive rounds that will scatter and decimate anything within a 10 meter radius.
- AK-47 -- The AK-47 and its variants are extremely versatile and will take a lot of abuse. The 7.62x39 round that it takes does a lot of damage so any zombie you hit in the neck or above should be neutralized pretty quickly.
- Remington 870 -- Video games often feature shotguns as the weapon of choice and the Remington 870 is a solid choice for a shotgun. The only problem with this or any other shotgun is that you will have limited rounds. Therefore, if you plan to use a shotgun for zombie defense, be sure to add a sidesaddle to hold more rounds.
- Handguns -- Handguns are easy to carry and shoot but you will need to be relatively close to the zombies for them to be most effective. Most calibers of handguns will work but I would steer clear of .380s as they might not pack a big enough punch to stop the zombies.
- Tommy Gun -- The Thompson submachine gun (a.k.a., Tommy Gun) would be a great gun for zombie defense. It’s a 45 caliber with a high rate of fire and a drum magazine that holds 100 rounds. This means it packs a punch and gives you ample firing time between reloads. The only drawback is that you would need to be reasonably close to the zombies for the Tommy Gun to be effective.
- Flame Thrower -- Some tales would indicate that fire is an effective weapon against zombies. If that’s the case, a flame thrower would certainly get the job done, provided you were up close and personal with a zombie before firing.